Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Los Perros Locos!


Yay!!  Los Perros Locos finally opened!!!  I've been walking past this place for weeks now and drooling with anticipation.  A Colombian Hot Dog place three blocks from me??  Does it get any better??  What is a Colombian Hot Dog you ask??  That's an excellent question and you're about to find out!

The decor is fun and festive and it's set up like an indoor hot dog stand, on the "streets" of Colombia, which is cute.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  They were also knowledgeable about the menu and that was a good thing considering all the interesting concoctions on there.  The service was really... really slow, but it was their first day and we might have been their first customers, so I'll forgive them that today.  I mean, they didn't even have change yet.

The hot dogs were awesome though!  The prices weren't too bad, about $6 - 7 for a specialty dog and they are large and filling.  The dogs themselves are juicy and flavorful and they toast the buns, which I really appreciate.   We ordered the...

Pablo Escabar - hot dog with pineapple salsa, apple chipotle slaw, potato chips, Kewpie mayo, and perico (yeah, I don't know what that is either).  This dog was hands down my favorite.  The sweetness of the salsa, cool of the slaw, crunch of the chips and salty of the dog were excellent!  I do which the slaw had a bit more chipotle kick to it though, it was definitely tame.

Chimi-Churi-Chori - grilled chorizo dog with grilled provoleta, chimichurri sauce,  aioli, and crushed potato chips.  The grilled chorizo was really wonderful and had well balanced flavors.  The rest was just okay.  It wasn't really spicy, as I had been told, and it was missing something... like that pineapple salsa.  The provoleta didn't add anything the dog at all, but the chimichurri was very good.

Spicy Spicy Mango Perros - hot dog with spicy mango mojo, melted mozzarella, and spicy Doritos. This was awesome.  Sweet, spicy, a little Doritos cheesy... it was a great combination.  My friend, Alice, who I was with, kept talking about it with her mouth full, so you know it had to be good.

Mazzzzzorca - which they claim is "the best grilled Mexican corn you have ever had."  Um... yeah, not so much.  I would disagree whole heatedly.  First of all, it wasn't grilled.  It was boiled, soggy... and over cooked.  I would even go out on a limb and say this was either frozen corn reheated or corn made the night before; it definitely wasn't fresh.  The spices didn't stand out to me either.  It was very underwhelming and way over priced at $4.  I'll be heading to Cafe Habana for my Mexican Corn... those Cubans know how to do Mexican Corn right!

Overall, I will definitely be back, as I'd like to try some of the other fun hot dogs on their menu - like the El Perro Perdido - hot dog in a deep dried french toast bun, strawberry ancho jam, smoked ham and melted swiss!  I'm sure they'll have worked out all the little kinks by the time I return.  This place will be great for late night munchies!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs