Thursday, January 31, 2013

Vogue Knitting Live

On Saturday, January 19, I went to my first yarn and knitting expo.  Yes, that's right, I'm officially one of those people.  You know those people?  Those people who carry their knitting everywhere they go - subways, classrooms, bus stops, movie theaters.  Someone a lot like Corie, one of my student workers.  She's the little crafter in my crew; her hands are always going at something. But if being like Corie is like being one of those people, then I'm okay with it because she's pretty much one of the coolest people I know.  But I digress...

We went to the Vogue Knitting Live Expo at the Marriot Marquis in Time's Square.  There were two floors of what every happy hooker could ever dream about - yarn, glorious yarn!  Yarn of every color and worst and length and type and... and... and it was amazing!!!  The unfortunate thing about all of this amazing glorious yarn, was the prices.  This is not your Red Heart discount yarn from Michael's.  This is home spun yarn from Swiss Alpacas sheered on a full moon and spun by blind nuns during a winter solstice.  This was some good sh*&!  Corie and I quickly realized that we were not these people... we are, as Corie put so eloquently, the white trash of knitters and crocheters.
Crocheted food - such a cute idea for toys.


With our yarn buying dreams squashed, we managed to pick up the pieces of our crafting lives and still enjoy ourselves.  They had cool demonstrations of this crazy new knitting and crotcheting with needles and hooks bigger than my arm. It reminded me of something that you would find in a children's museum or play house, but it was legit!  People were actually making afghans with these huge tools.  I decided that next year I would invest and learn how to do it, because I was pretty obsessed with it by the end of the day.

There was a cute little fashion show... some of the pieces were terrifying, but overall, they had some cute stuff.  Although the knitted pantaloons are still giving me nightmares.  They had book signings, people making yarn, and loads of classes.  They had little beginners areas where people would teach you how to knit, crotchet, and all sorts of cool crafting techniques.  We really enjoyed just walking around drooling over everything.  However we didn't leave empty handed, Corie bought the most gorgeous purple chunky sparkly yarn (from Lion Brand, where we could afford to shop... and will continue to) and I got a custom cross stitch iPhone case that will be the shiz when I sit down to do it.

To console our dashed yarn dreams, we headed across the street to get some Junior's Cheesecake.  Corie's cherry cheesecake and my carrot cake cheesecake did just the trick, we were satisfied with dreaming big and using cheap yarn.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs