Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Year's Resolutions 2013


New Years is just another excuse for me to do something I love; make new lists.  I actually enjoy writing lists of goals of myself, from To Do lists, To Buy Lists, Grocery Lists, Meeting Agenda Lists, Packing Lists ... the lists go on and on.  There is nothing more satisfying in ticking things off my list.  I just makes me happy.  

New Year's Resolutions have become some of my favorite listing.  Besides the usual "be healthy" goals (which are on my private list and not this one), it really is an opportunity for me to evaluate what I'd like to improve upon this coming year.  I got into the habit the last couple of years of writing reasons for my resolutions so that I can easily remind myself of why I want to do these things for myself.  

At the end of the year I enjoy reading through my resolutions and seeing how far I've come.  I may not accomplish all of them, but I do tend to do most of them and that's pretty darn good!  So I thought I'd share mine this year and we'll see how it comes out in 12 months time.

1. Go to at least two MeetUps a month 
I really love MeetUp.com.  It's a great way to get out, meet new people, have new experiences, and fun!  I currently belong to a ton of Meetup groups for crotchet, playing cards, cooking, book clubs, going to movies, even a Maltese Dog Meetup.  The problem is, I don't go as much as should.  I get lazy and "busy" and don't go to as many as I'd like to.  So this year I'd like to try to go to at least two a month, if not more.
  • I'll make new friends 
  • I'll do things I enjoy doing 
  • I'll get out of the house 
  • I'll have fun 
2. Start Graduate School 
I am a Grad School drop out - yes, it's true.  I can't say I regret not finishing my Graduate degree, except for once a month when I make my student loan payment.  Well, after a lot of years of "finding" myself, I have found a program that I'm excited about.  If all goes well, I will begin this summer and graduate in 2 years.
  • It'll expand my mind 
  • It'll keep me busy (I like being busy)
  • I need to do it to move up and on in my career 
  • It'll open doors to me
3. Cook fish once a week 
Ok, this may seem like an odd one, but I rarely cook fish for myself because it's terrifying.  I can make about 3 fish dishes and that's it.  I've always wanted to be better at it because I find myself ordering fish all the time at restaurants.  This little resolution has made it onto a few years of resolution lists.  Maybe 2013 will be it's year!  I do have two great fish mongers just a block away, and one of them is pretty darn cute and flirty, so that's motivating.
  • I've always wanted to learn to cook fish 
  • It's a healthy protein 
  • I'll feel accomplished 
  • I enjoy cooking 
4. Enjoy my hobbies more (Take a couple cooking classes, Crochet & Sewing projects, reading) 
This is one of those things that I start out strong on now and then, and then I get busy or distracted and I won't touch a project for months (and sometimes years).  I really enjoy my hobbies and I want to make more time for them.  This year I'm building them into my schedule (yeah, I know, it's pathetic).
  • It makes me feel accomplished 
  • I'm proud of what I do 
  • It's fun 
5. Start a Foodies Book Club 
I belong to several book clubs that never seem to satisfy me for various reasons.  This was an idea that I had a few months ago.  I love to read and I love to cook - and I love to read about cooking.  There are so many amazing works of literature that involve food that I thought it would be cool to have a book club that not only read those books, but then got together and shared the food that was made in the book.  Kind of cool, right?  So I'd like to start this group up on MeetUp this year.  I'll probably start in either February or March.
  • I'll make friends with my same hobbies 
  • I'm a good leader 
  • I enjoy entertaining
  • I love reading and cooking
6. Donate my time at least once every 3 months 
I feel like I don't donate my time enough.  I do it now and then.  I administer a lot of charity work at my work, but I don't really give back as much as I should.  I figure I can find at least 4 days, if not more, a year that I can donate my time.
  • It makes me feel accomplished 
  • It makes me feel good because I gave back 
  • It helps the community that I live in 
7. Explore my neighborhood more 
If you read my previous post, you know that I have a need to know my new neighborhood better before it becomes my old neighborhood and I don't know anything about it.  
  • Have dinner/lunch at a new place weekly 
  • I'll feel more like part of my neighborhood 
  • It'll give me a sense of home 
  • I'll have fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs